Friday, May 2, 2008

April Review: A New Blog, Brooklyn Views, and Stolen Wheels?!


April is always a good month for me, it's the month of my birthday (April 23), the month that Spring buds, and the bikers come out of the woodwork. This past April was a definite good one, i of course had my Birthday as usual, and i started my blog with the title "God Bless This Bike". This has been a good month for me, as i have been planning this blog since the beginning of the year relying on the "Blessing of the Bikes" event as the intro. to my ever evolving blog journal. Thank you to Michael Green of "Bike Blog" for answering so many questions about the blog universe, and letting me post his story below. i look forward to bringing you the best in stories of NYC biking, and being a fashion designer in the great city of NY, i will be adding a "FASHION" portion to this blog (details to come) with commentary from fellow designers in the city. There is so much to look forward to, and i hope you (the reader) stick around to watch it bloom with me.

Photo by: David Y.

Another View...


Photo by: David Y.

One of the great things about NYC is the skyline of downtown, it's one of the greatest sites to behold. i have a good friend that once told me, "No one man can stand on any building in NYC and claim they own this town". The image above was taken by yours truly from the Manhattan Bridge right at dusk. To ride into Brooklyn you have one of three options, either the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, or the Williamsburg bridge (B.M.W. is
a quick way to remember them). The Brooklyn Bridge is a nice ride, but to behold the awesome view one should take the Manhattan Bridge. The ride is a bit desolate at night, and during the day as well, but to stop and take the view in is amazing, one that i recommend to any Biker. The Bridge has two pedestrian paths flanking either side of the bridge one side is for walking pedestrians, and the other is for bikes. On this particular night i was riding on the "walking" side, so i could get a good picture, as you see above. i have taken this path several times to get to lower Manhattan, but a word to the wise, the area around Bowery and Canal can be quite tricky so i recommend dismounting and walking your bike through the intersection. If you have the time and the leg power i advise checking this out!!!

?!Stolen Wheels!?



If you can believe it there are still people out there who steal. i never understood this concept, someone who thinks they are so above the law they can take things that just don't belong to them. It always amuses me here in the city when i am walking down the street in the masses of people there is always that one (or two) people that feel they own the runway, but i never get a sence that they think they own my things, much less take them. Recently a fellow biker here in NYC had his bike stolen, and in a last ditch effort to get it
back i am posting his story below:


I'm in shock. Someone just stole my track bike, and I let them do it. After biking in NYC for 18 years I just fell victim to a scam. It happened April 22nd, 5:00pm. I was on 1st ave between 13th and 14th, in front of the birdbath bakery, which gives you 25% off if you use a bike. I wanted to bring my bike in the store but instead took a minute to look for a place to lock it up. A Hispanic male about 5'8, stocky, short cropped hair, looking kind of pale like he was on the methadone program. He was stocky, a good 250 lbs. Wearing a white button down short sleeved shirt with a huge airbrushed image of scar-face. Jean shorts, white sneakers. He had some religious tattoos including a cross on his hand that looked home-made. He walked by me, then turned around and came back. He walked up to me and asked where he could get a bike like mine. Then he asked if he could feel how heavy it was. I knew he was going to want to try it out and I knew I would SAY NO! Then for some dumb ass reason, I gave in and let him ride it. I thought I would be asked for money but I never thought the actual scam was going to be stealing my bike. I sort of felt like just getting the bike part out of the way which is why I didn't pay too much attention to the details. Before this happened he gave me the keys to his car which he walked over to a car parked in the street and turned the lock. He also walked by this car before he stopped to talk to me, so I was really convinced this was his car. He handed me a key and said I could hold his key to the car while he tried out the bike. I shouldn't have even let him touch my bike...going with my initial gut feelings. This will be the hardest part to swallow. I share it with you knowing the embarsment I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I had a policy, never to let people ride my bike, never to stop on the Bridge if someone flagged me down. WHY WHY WHY did I let down my guard. This guy was really good at what he did.

Then the guy rode back and forth up and down the block between 14th and 13th. 3 times. On the third pass he headed North on 1st and then crossed 14th street on a green light, stopping traffic. He took off down 14th street towards AVE A. My heart sank. I couldn't believe this. Then I tried the key to the car...no dice.

So I called the police. They came right away, they were nice and helpful. We took a ride. We went over to Continuum bike shop to see if he tried to make the quick sale. Jeff at the bike shop told me someone else had this happen to them too, recently, he said a lot of people have been reporting bike theft. I knew about this. I had no idea the same scam was being tried on other people. Apparently this happened to someone last year on Orchard Street, another person 2 months ago and a 19 year old woman, 2 days after it happened to me on East Broadway. There is no confirmation that this is the same person, but be careful out there.

If you see this bike please please please let me know.


It is a a orange khs bike all covered up with round green and white crumpler stickers. It has a gold Chris King headset. It has a green areospoke front wheel with a green tire. It has green Oury hand grips. I love this bike...really. I feel like a total schmuck.

Please help me get it back. Any information will help.




No comments: