Monday, October 27, 2008

NYC: Tour de Bronx interview

Photo by: Unknown

On October 19th 2008 the Bronx hosted its 14th annual Tour de Bronx, which is the cities largest public ride. Thousands of NY's come out of the wood work to participate in this free ride. One such person Dania B., a good friend of mine rode the tour and let me interview her:

DY: What hood do you call your crib?
DB: Williamsburg, Brooklyn

DY: What kind of bike do you own?
DB: A black Specialized Sirrus. It's effin Hot. if i could have sex with it i would!
DY: How long have you been riding?
DB: Not long at all. Bought it back in July-ish.

DY: For what reasons do your ride?
DB: well let's see...it's kinda therapeutic. I'm from the suburbs and had a car from the moment I turned 16 until about 5 years ago. There's always something liberating about driving a car. The feeling of riding a bike is similar to that.

DY: Do you usually bike alone or with a group?
DB: Alone

DY: How did you feel entering the Tour de Bronx? and how do you feel now that it's over?
DB: Well I had the option of a 25 or 45 mile course. I was worried about the longer one but my friend seemed like she really wanted to do it. She's done these before, this was my first. Anyway I somehow convinced myself that I could do it. I did and could have gone a bit longer.I impressed myself. But maybe my sweet ass bike should get all the credit!

DY: What kind of training did you do for the ride?
DB: None. Zero. Nada. But i go to the gym pretty often. David Barton gym, nuff said!

DY: What advice would you give someone wanting to join a tour?
DB: Do it!

DY: How would you have changed your biking technique if i were riding with you?
DB: I don't know you like that!

DY: What are your feelings about joining another ride?
DB: Would do it again but my friend that I rode with on the Bronx tour said the ones in the summer are not as fun. I think I picked a good one to start with. It was perfect fall weather in the boogy down..

DY: How did this change your view on biking, or did it?
DB: Way more into it now. I make up reasons to ride my bike! then, there are those special moments like making eye contact on the Williamsburg bridge with a hot guy on his bike... okay let me stop.
DY: About how often do you ride a week, or day?
DB: twice a week

DY: If you could change one thing for bikers in the city, what would it be?
DB: Safer bike lanes, and more of them.

DB: JUST WANT TO ADD ONE THING - THE GUYS AT SID'S BIKES (CHELSEA & MIDTOWN) ARE THE MUTHAFUKIN BOMB! EVERYONE NEEDS TO GO THERE FOR ALL THEIR BIKE NEEDS! SERIOUSLY. WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR A BIKE OTHER PLACES LIKE GOTHAM DIDN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO THE DOWN TO EARTH , SUPER HELPFUL GUYS AT SID'S.

Thanks to Dania, and hopefully we can ride the next one together!

No comments: